The weather in Moscow....

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

First day of school....


Little did I know how much of an impact the first day of school would have on me. As I anxiously awaited this day to greet my own new set of 23 students,
it dawned on me that Hayden was going to be venturing into his own "new territory." Kindergarten. We packed his Spiderman lunch box, put his school supplies in his backpack, filled out all the paperwork to send back to school today and we were ready! He was so excited, that yesterday he says to Kennedy, "Guess what, Kennedy, I get to go to Kindergarten tomorrow!!!" It was the cutest thing. Knowing Hayden was going to be riding the bus over to McDonald, where I teach, I sat in the teacher's lounge, barely able to eat my own lunch waiting for him to arrive on the bus. Which, by the way was one of the highlights of his day! The moment I saw him pull up, I lost it! My coworkers saw the tears in my eyes, and heard my choked up voice and they started tearing up as well, remembering those days when their children were just as small. Hayden greets me with a huge wave and smile as I walk out to meet him from the bus along with our principal, "Auntie Laurie." His territory was treaded upon, with courage and wonder. Anxious to go back tomorrow to play with his new friends!

No comments: